Thursday, March 24, 2011

Making it up as I go along...


I’ll be honest gentle reader, more often than not, I’m making things up as I go along. 

I’ve been teaching, closer to three months now, than 2, and only have a few more weeks before the end of classes. And in all that time, absolutely nothing has gone according to any normal plan. 

For those who don’t know me, I’m teaching Video Production, in a start-up program that is a bit closer to the start-up side than it is to the program side. We don’t have equipment or studio space yet. In fact, all we have is a bunch of hungry students, most of them seniors. It can be quite frustrating to try and teach them the myriad of life lessons and skills that I learned, mostly through hands on experience. 

However, this also applies, I feel, to my writing. Not to the story, believe it or not. I have a very clear design for what I want to do with my book series, which revolve around private detective Dan Landis. No, how I want to go about publishing is where I’m making it up as I go along. 

On the one hand, I would love the validation that comes with being published by a major, or heck even a minor, publishing house. That would just be FANTASTIC! But, honestly, I would be very surprised if anyone wanted to take a chance. Because publishing is a tough row to hoe, and unless you are a super-seller its hard for a publisher to make money off of you. 

On the other hand, I don’t know if I have the confidence to be a self-marketing guru who sells a super-amount of books. Right now, there is the potential to self-publish, and to be able to sell both paperbacks and e-books over the internet. The technology is there, and it would be fantastic to be able to get my story into the hands of readers. 

So, if you’re the praying sort, say a prayer for me gentle reader. If I am successful, I promise you can come swim in my pool in the shape of Dan Landis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment