Thursday, March 17, 2011

That's no moon....that's a SUPERMOON!


Coming up on March 19th, which is Saturday, the moon will make its closest approach to Earth in 18 years. 

Which is scary mainly because I know people, adults, for whom that’s their entire life span. And that makes me feel old. 

But, hey on the bright side, I can use SUPERMOON in a conversation, and not look strange. Not that I have ever had to worry about looking strange. 

If you’re going to be looking through a telescope, the moon should appear about 7% larger, though I have my doubts as to how big it will look to the naked eye. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think it would be awesome for it to look all “Unicron about to eat the Earth” but I don’t think that would be good. 

Actually I just cracked open my Physics for Dummies and under “Would it be a bad thing for the moon to be so close as to resemble a giant Transformer about to devour the Earth?” the answer was “Yes.”
So there’s that. 

But otherwise, enjoy the SUPERMOON everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment