Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Five Year Celebration...

Hello Gentlereaders,

Five years ago this month, I successfully obtained an MFA in Cinema-Television Directing.

Enabling me to have a spirited conversation about the influence of Truffaut
while asking if you want paper or plastic.
 
In addition to making friendships that will last a lifetime, I am very proud of the work that came of that time. Specifically, the development of everyone's favorite private investigator, Dan Landis.

 
When I first started down the path of filmmaking, I believed that all you needed for success in life was a Studebaker with a bear, a frog, a pig, a dog and a chicken.
 
In this scenario, I'd be the weirdo in the back. 


Granted, life has taught me some hard lessons. One, no matter how good you think you are, there will always be someone better. Two, find what you love and chase that dream. If you're doing what you love, you'll never work a day in your life. Third, life is full of surprises.

He pretty much inspired Dan Landis.
 
At some point in my life, I made friends with one of the most interesting people I know. Model, actor, all-around decent human being Chris Winters. I loved putting Chris in short films, and when it came time to create a portfolio film, a requirement for my MFA, I knew I wanted to write something for the one and only CW.
 
 
You know that phrase about the best laid plans of mice and men? Yeah, that happened to me. I went to create a portfolio, and little did I know, CW was in CA. I'm pretty sure he's now ON the CW.
 
Probably on that one show where
a bunch of pretty people
stare pensively at one another.
Something something Arrow Vampires.
 
Thankfully, even though Chris wasn't available, he did have a buddy he could recommend. Someone who could play affable and charming.
 
Pictured: Affable AND Charming
 
See, I had this concept, stop me if you've heard it: A writer bases a series of books on her childhood imaginary friend. However, as an adult, the imaginary friend comes to life. Hijinks ensue. It was while shooting that someone turned to me and went "Have you heard Nim's Island?"
 
I thought at first they had said "Mims Island".
Coming 2025 Mimsey Island!
 
Yeah, apparently my story about a reclusive author that writes adventure stories and is haunted by their lead character was just one Abigail Breslin from being proof of time travel. Or that theory that there are only seven basic plots.
 
It's ok. My first portfolio idea was about
a toy box from the future.
Also, SPOILERS!
 


After finishing up the film, successfully joining the ranks of the educated unemployed, and having too much time on my hands...I decided to be productive. See, I created a list of fictional book titles for fictional character Dan Landis to star in. People who watched the movie really liked the book titles.
 

Since I had free time, a creative mind, and a fictional character haunting my mental hallways I decided to write a book. See, I was at the mall when I thought "What if Dan Landis worked as a mall cop? And found Santa stuffed behind a dumpster."

BAM!
 
 
And the rest, as they say, is history. 
 
Jay Mims writes books, blogs, and recently took THE GREATEST BUS RIDE EVER. Jay lives with The Mimsus, a passive aggressive Dalek named Steve, and a cat named Eartha Kitty. Jay is far funnier on Facebook then in real life. He is terrible at Twitter






No comments:

Post a Comment