Monday, January 11, 2016

Last Bow For Bowie

Hello Gentle Readers,

For those who don't know, David Bowie died after an eighteen month battle with cancer.

He will be missed


Now, most folks' first introduction to David Bowie was probably in his seminal work Labyrinth. And I will be doing a review of that flick in the next post.

It was glorious...

But, believe it or not, my first exposure to Mr. Bowie was actually a Christmas song. For those that don't know, I absolutely love all things Christmas. 

Obviously. 

There was one song that really touched my heart. It was a beautiful duet between two strong but contrasting voices, calling for a greater understanding and capturing the beauty of Christmas as it's celebrated in so many different cultures and belief systems. That song was Baby It's Cold Outside. Just kidding. It was Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy


I found David Bowie's voice entrancing, and the more I learned about him, the more over-the-top a character he became in my mind. Which is probably why it's so hard to accept that he was also human. It's easy to see the artists and performers as legends on high, it's much harder to remember they are only human. 


Sir Terry Pratchett once wrote, ‘Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?’And, just as I did with Sir Terry this is my humble attempt to keep the fire going. I'd like to leave you with a bit of trivia. One of my favorite jokes, one that I included in The Five Santas was "Two psychics bump into one another. The first says, 'Well, you're fine, but how am I?'" I will confess, David Bowie told that joke first, on the video I'd like to leave you with. 

From all of us at the House of M, we'd like to extend our sincerest sympathies and condolences to the family and friends of Mr. David Bowie. Though the world is a little lesser without him in it, his legacy continues forever, from the lowest depths to the stars and beyond. Be at peace, sir. 


Jay Mims writes booksblogs, and lives with The Mimsus, a semi-adopted cat named Eartha Kitty, a lizard named Bob and a passive-aggressive Dalek named Steve. Jay is far funnier on Facebook then in real life. He is terrible at Twitter. Jay now has a website.

No comments:

Post a Comment