Friday, July 11, 2014

Karaoke With Mimsey! Nine Songs I Randomly Sing...

Hello Gentle Readers,

For those who don't know, we're celebrating the Twelve Days of Mimsey. And I thought it was time I admitted something: I love to sing. In fact, spend long enough around me and I'll randomly break into song. It's one of my more endearing traits.

One of many...


So, I thought it would be appropriate to share nine of the songs you'd likely hear me sing...

Karaoke With Mimsey! Nine Songs I Randomly Sing...

Now, I have to preface this by saying that all songs on this list had to 1) Be songs I sing fairly regularly and MORE IMPORTANTLY 2) Songs I knew all the words to. I know it's not a requirement for Karaoke, but it's important to me.

1) Full House theme


I could have gone with any number of TGIF show themes, but I decided on Full House because that chorus just goes for a full 100%. Don't get me wrong, Perfect Strangers theme has a nicer melody and Family Matters theme has more nostalgic value for me, but nothing can match the power of da House.

2) "The Gambler"


Do I love country music? Yes, I do. Could I have made this entire list just country music? I think the better question is, could I have made this list Nine Kenny Rogers Songs I Know By Heart? Yes. Yes I could. Kenny's awesome. Anyway, here's David Tennant and the cast of Blackpool singing "The Gambler".


3) "Birdhouse In Your Soul"


Yeah, this is a They Might Be Giants song, but my first exposure to this particular melodious eclair was from the criminally underappreciated Pushing Daisies. That isn't to say I don't love many other TMBG songs. I just can't claim to know all the words to "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)".

4) "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life"


This isn't my favorite Bill Medley song. No, that honor belongs to "Unchained Melodies" which I have used to woo many hearts in my time. However, when called upon, I can duet this with both intensity and passion.

I got skillz. 

5) "Billie Jean"
Micheal Jackson is awesome, and I wish I had a thimbleful of his talent. I could never hope to dance or even do a realistically decent imitation of him, but man do I love this song. It's not as frenetic as "Thriller" or as poignant as "Childhood", but it's still one of my favorites.

6) "A Whole New World"


I'm a self-professed Disney nerd. I could probably nail the choruses of most of the songs. But, the one I know the best is that beautiful duet from Aladdin. It reminds me of long bus rides back when I was the mascot of my high school and rode with the cheerleaders. Good times. 

7)  "Call Me Maybe"


I don't know why this song seems to have stuck in my head. Maybe it's because there was a certain point where it was on continuously every time I turned on the radio. Beats me. I just know I have that song in my head, even as I type this. Also, I love Jimmy Fallon's children's instrument sessions. And of course, my new favorite is a Disney song.



8) "Baby It's Cold Outside"


I won't lie, this isn't my favorite Christmas song of all time, but it also reminds me of one of my favorite Zooey Deschanel scenes, the one from Elf. It's awesome.


9) "Take On Me"


In my experience, the great thing about this song is: If you start singing it in any particular group of people, inevitably at least one person will sing along. It's a bonding experience. 

So, that's my list. Sound off in the comments for your favorite random bursts of song. 

On the first day of Mimsey, my true love gave to me: MyFavorite Santa Claus!

On the second day of Mimsey, my true love gave to me: A Labyrinth And David Bowie!

On the third day of Mimsey, my true love gave to me: Three Crocodile Dundee movies!

On the fourth day of Mimsey, my true love gave to me: Four Books Are Written!

On the fifth day of Mimsey, my true love gave to me: Five Awesome Ensembles!

On the sixth day of Mimsey, my true love gave to me: Six Santas And A Movie!

On the seventh day of Mimsey, my true love gave to me: The Seven Best Fictional Phones!

On the eight day of Mimsey, my true love gave to me: Eight Ladies Writing!

On the ninth day of Mimsey, my true love gave to me: Nine Songs Randomly Singing!

Jay Mims writes books, blogs, and recently wrote about what made Disney Princess' tick. Jay lives with The Mimsus, a semi-adopted cat named Eartha Kitty, a lizard named Bob and a passive-aggressive Dalek named Steve. Jay is far funnier on Facebook then in real life. He is terrible at Twitter.  Jay now has a website.

6 comments:

  1. Take On Me has some tough notes to hit, I'm impressed you put it in the karaoke line up! I do love a good tv theme song. I'm so old, Laverne and Shirley is my go to ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give us any chance we'll take it, give us any rule we'll break it....

      Delete
    2. I am also a collector of mp3 music for any device, especially those mp3s that I have made into phone ringtones. To learn more about ringtones please visit here: Mesaj Sesleri

      Delete
  2. Take On Me is my favorite 80s song. It beat out Private Eyes by Hall and Oates. I catch myself singing "Call Me Maybe" at random times, too. It's one of those songs I wish I hated, but...I don't. I don't hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I saw the Jimmy Fallon version, it was really hard to hate. Have you seen the Psych Private Eyes thing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1-SngQAUcU

      Delete